Lexicoblog

The occasional ramblings of a freelance lexicographer

Monday, July 20, 2009

Calming cricket

It's been a rather low, lethargic past week or so what with my aches and pains causing constant frustration and weeks of inactivity getting me down, the one calming influence though has been the cricket ...

I'm not a big cricket fan, but I understand the basics and generally take an interest in international matches. Yes, it's exciting that England have actually beaten Australia for once, but what I really love is the TMS commentary on the radio. It's just so incredibly calming and the language has a mystical quality all of its own. There's nothing quite like listening to a slow, calm BBC accent talking about slips and covers, silly mid off and short square leg. It's something akin to the shipping forecast.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home